Nikolaihof Wachau

Time Travel

The history of Nikolaihof Wachau in Mautern spans about 2,000 years. It was, at various times, a celtic place of worship, part of a Roman fort, a bishop's seat and an administrative centre.

A journey through the history of Nikolaihof Wachau

63 A. D.
The foundations of the estate date back to the Roman fort Favianis.

470 A. D.
Saint Severin retires to the "Weingebirge" ('wine hills') for prayer.

777 A. D.
Nikolaihof is given to Kremsmünster Abbey as a gift to celebrate its foundation. In the 10th century it is taken over by the monastery St. Nikola of Passau.

985 A. D.
A synod takes place in the Roman Agapitus Basilica at Nikolaihof, under Bishop Pilgrim of Passau.

11th - 12th century
The Agapitus Chapel is built by the Augustiner Chorherren of the monastery St. Nikola on the ground walls of the former basilica. It still dominates the Nikolaihof courtyard today.

1803
Secularisation of Nikolaihof.

1894
Anton and Anna Saahs acquire the estate.

1971
Start of biodynamic cultivation under Nikolaus and Christine Saahs.

2005 
Nikolaihof is passed on to the next generation, Nikolaus Saahs Jr.

 

The present appearance of Nikolaihof dates back to those centuries. The remains of the ancient Roman fortification can still be encountered throughout the entire estate.

  • Home

Nikolaihof Wachau
Familie Saahs
Nikolaigasse 3
3512 Mautern, Wachau
Austria
T +43 2732 829 01
wein(at)nikolaihof.at